Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQs

Tuition and Billing

How much do the Morehouse Undergrad Online programs cost?

Tuition is based on the number of credits for which you register. The 2021-2022 tuition rate for Morehouse Online is $600 per credit. Morehouse reserves the right to increase tuition and fees may increase on an annual basis.

Are there additional fees assessed on top of tuition?

There is a program fee assessed each semester of $385, which includes a technology and activity fee. There is also a one-time New Student/orientation fee of $150.00   Certain courses may also have a required fee attached for materials.

Will I be billed for the student health insurance plan?

Student Health Insurance is not required for online students.

How much is the deposit, and when is it due?

There is a non-refundable enrollment deposit of $150 due once admitted. The enrollment deposit is credited toward your tuition.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?

No, federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit.

Will I be able to view my financial aid award before submitting the deposit?

You may apply for aid before you receive your admission decision. However, you will not receive an award notification until you have been admitted into a degree-seeking program of study. To ensure Morehouse receives your FAFSA information, include Morehouse’s Federal School Code 001582 on your application.

When will I receive a tuition bill, when is payment due, and how do I view my bill?

To attend class, you must have an approved payment method  in place by the due date, or we may cancel your class registration. Your bill is viewable on TigerPay, our web-based billing and payment system. We do not mail billing statements to enrolled students. You may pay anything on your student account through TigerPay.

TigerPay is accessible through BannerWeb, Myportal, through which you can also access lists of courses taken, the grades earned in each course, and the semester and cumulative grade-point averages. We will not post grades for students who have delinquent financial accounts. Students whose grades do not appear on BannerWeb should contact the Office of Records and Registration.

What are the accepted forms of payment?

You may pay with a credit card, electronic check, 529 Plan (limited), and international wire transfer (Flywire) using TigerPay. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit cards for student account payments. There is a 2.75 percent (4.25 percent for international cards) fee for paying with a credit or debit card. There is no fee for paying with an electronic check. Visit the Tuition and Fees website for additional information on payment options.

How does my employer go about paying the school?

You may be eligible to receive a student account payment deferral for external funds which are not administered by our Financial Aid Office. Credit is extended for reliable sources of funding from employers, foundations, universities or other organizations which are known to the College. To have your bill paid by a third party, format billing arrangements may be required and must be set up and approved by Student Accounts before the term begins.

There is no deferral option for students who receive tuition reimbursement directly from their employer.

Are payment plan options available for online students?

Morehouse offers a semester-based installment plan that enables students to budget for each semester with a maximum of five monthly payments. Enrollment is available online via TigerPay. The installment plan allows students to defer payment of up to 40 percent of their student account balance each semester after considering their financial aid. Students must pay any past due balance from a previous semester before enrolling in this plan.  Installment plans are available for the Morehouse Online program.

What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?

To attend class, you must have a payment arrangement in place by the due date, or we may cancel your class registration. Conversely, if you cannot attend and want a 100 percent credit of tuition and fees, you must drop your courses by the drop/add deadline. If you remain registered past the add/drop deadline, you will no longer be eligible for a 100 percent credit of tuition and mandatory fees. See the withdrawal refund policy for details about prorated credits of tuition and mandatory fees when you withdraw from the semester.

If I’m eligible to receive a refund, what is the process?

If your student account shows a credit balance, you may be entitled to receive a refund. Student Financial Services processes credit balance refunds on a weekly basis. Visit the credit balance refund page for more information.

Student refunds are directly deposited into your checking or savings account. To enroll in direct deposit, complete the SFS Direct Deposit Enrollment form and submit it to our office. Balances paid by credit card will be refunded first to the credit card used to make payment on your account up to the amount of the credit card payment made.

Please keep in mind that when federal Title IV grant or loan assistance is disbursed, but the recipient does not complete the enrollment period, the law requires that Morehouse College calculate the amount that must be returned by the school and/or student to Title IV program accounts (Return of Title IV Aid), and may result in a balance due to the College.

Who can I contact at Morehouse for billing and payment questions?

You can contact Student Financial Services email at or 470-639-0959.

Morehouse College Student Portal/Account Set Up

What is the Morehouse College student portal?

Students can access Morehouse services through My.Portal

How do I set up my Morehouse College Account and my Morehouse email?

Upon admission to the college, you will receive communication that will include your M Number (Morehouse College ID number) and a Morehouse College email address. It will also include instructions on how to change your password as well as how to access the portal.

Financial Aid at Morehouse College

Does Morehouse Online offer internal scholarships to online students?

Institutional scholarships are not available for the Morehouse Online program.

If you are looking for outside scholarships to help reduce cost, we have compiled a list of free outside scholarship searches that may help you find additional resources to apply to your cost of attendance.

We strongly advise you NOT to pay any scholarship search firm. Most likely, if an organization is asking for a payment to help you search for scholarships, they are not providing a legitimate service.

The HOPE scholarship is funded by the Georgia Lottery for Education and is available only to degree-seeking undergraduate students who meet the definition of a Georgia Resident for HOPE scholarship purposes. Details are available at Georgia Student Finance Commission website. 

You may also want to research scholarships available to students at HBCU’s through the HBCU Foundation, and through the United Negro College Fund (UNCF).

Are there Morehouse specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?

Morehouse does not require any school specific supplemental forms. If you are a new student, and are planning to apply for federal student aid, you will need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Entrance Counseling and the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What federal student aid is available to undergraduate students?

Students who complete the FAFSA form, are US citizens or permanent residents, and who are not in default on any previous student loans may be eligible for the Pell Grant and the Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan.

What is the eligibility criteria for the Federal Pell Grant and Direct Subsidized Loans?

The Department of Education awards Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need, have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees and have remaining lifetime eligibility. How is my Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) calculated? For more information, view Understand Financial Aid.

Are there academic standards I must meet to continue to receive federal student aid?

To be eligible and continue to receive Federal Student Aid (FSA), students must make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward achieving and completing their program of study through measurement of qualitative (GPA) and quantitative (completed credits) standards. Learn more about the SAP requirements for undergraduate students.

What is the verification process?

Once you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, the Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA applications for a process called verification. The verification process requires students to provide supplemental documentation to verify the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA. If chosen for verification, the process is not optional. If you do not complete the verification process, you will not receive a financial aid package or be awarded any federal financial assistance. Additional information is available at: KHEAA Verification

Please note: if you are selected for verification, you will be contacted through the email address used to file your FAFSA application. In addition to your main inbox, it is highly recommended you check your spam folder on a regular basis for KHEAA communications.

What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?

You must be registered for at least six (6) credits per semester to be eligible to receive federal student aid.

How do I determine full-time, part-time, or half-time enrollment in this program?

Students who are enrolled in at least 12 credits are considered full time. If you are enrolled in 6-8 credits you are considered half time. If you are between 9-11 credits you are considered three-quarter time. Students who qualify for Pell Grant will have the award adjusted based on enrollment as required by the federal government.

How will I receive my financial aid award?

To check the status and accept financial aid awards, visit MyPortal, which will take you to BannerWeb, where you can review your financial aid award.

How do I accept my financial aid award, and am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered on my award letter?

Awards are accepted in BannerWeb.  Step by step instructions are provided in your financial aid offer letter. You do not have to accept the full amount offered. Students are encouraged to borrow only what is needed.  You can choose to accept all, part or none of your financial aid.

Will my financial aid cover my tuition and fees?

Aid eligibility is dependent on several factors, including your status as a dependent or independent student and the number of credits for which you are enrolled.

How soon will my financial aid disburse to my student account?

As long as all required loan documents (master promissory note and entrance counseling) are completed, all financial aid will be disbursed after the end of add/drop. All financial aid will be disbursed based on your course registration, as follows:

  • Registered for six credits (two courses) in Module A: all aid will disburse at the end of Module A add/drop
  • Registered for six credits (one course in Module A and one course in Module B): All aid will be disbursed once you are eligible (enrolled for six credits), so all aid will be disbursed at the end of the first week in Module B.
  • Registered for six credits (two courses) in Module B: all aid will be disbursed at the end of the first week in Module B.
  • Your financial aid must be ready to pay (authorized) to be considered for financial clearance.

Can I use loans to cover additional expenses such as living expenses, books, supplies, etc.?

The total cost of attendance (COA) for the academic year includes tuition, fees and living expenses. If there is eligibility for additional loan funds based on the COA, you are able to use those resources to cover expenses such as books, supplies, and other miscellaneous expenses. Most independent undergraduate students would need to borrow through private education loans to help cover additional expenses. If you are considered a dependent undergraduate, your parent(s) may borrow through the Federal PLUS loan program.

Who can I contact at Morehouse for financial aid questions?

Contact Student Financial Services by email at or 470-639-0959 to speak with a representative.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application the Department of Education uses to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.

Where can I find the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available online at The FAFSA is a free application; you will not be asked to pay.

What is the Morehouse College FAFSA school code?

The Morehouse FAFSA school code is 001582.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?

Your dependency status determines whose information you must report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. Visit for more information.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

Details on the EFC is available at

When should I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available every October 1st for the upcoming academic year. New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. Continuing students will need to submit a FAFSA each year they plan to receive federal student aid.

StartSemesterFAFSA Year
January 2023
Spring 2023
May 2023
Summer 2023
2022-23 & 2023-24*
August 2023
Fall 2023
January 2024
Spring 2024
May 2024
Summer 2024
2023-24 & 2024-25*
August 2024
Fall 2024

*Needed to receive financial aid award for Fall semester

Do I need to complete the FAFSA each year?

Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year for which you are or plan to be a student.

What constitutes an academic year for federal student aid?

An academic year is the year for which financial aid is used to fund your education. Generally, this is the 12-month period that begins on July 1 of one year and ends on June 30 of the following year.

What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?

Learn about federal student aid eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Pell Grant

What is the Federal Pell Grant?

Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor’s, graduate, or professional degree. Financial Need is defined as the difference between the cost of attendance (COA) at a school and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). While COA varies from school to school, your EFC does not change based on the school you attend.

How do I apply for the Federal Pell Grant?

You should start by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. You will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid.

Federal Direct Loans

What is the difference between the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans?

The Federal Direct Loan is a federal loan offered to students to help with the cost of education. Federal Subsidized Loans are based on income and financial need. Federal Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students; there is no requirement to demonstrate financial need.

How much am I eligible for each year?

If you are an undergraduate student, the maximum amount you can borrow each year in Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans ranges from $5,500 to $12,500 per year, depending on what year you are in school and your dependency status.

What is the eligibility criteria for the Direct Subsidized Loan?

The Department of Education awards Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need, have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees and have remaining lifetime eligibility.

How much am I able to borrow, and what is the aggregate loan limit?

Dependent undergraduate students are eligible to borrow up to $31,000 in subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Independent undergraduates, and dependent undergraduates whose parents are not eligible to borrow through the parent PLUS program, are eligible to borrow up to $57,500.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?

Log in on the homepage to view your federal student loan borrowing history and loan servicer details. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

How do I apply for the Federal Direct Loans?

To apply for the Federal Direct Loans, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the current Federal Direct Loan interest rate?

The Direct Loan interest rate is determined on an annual basis. Learn more about interest rates on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Federal Direct Loan?

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Other Loan Options

Are there other loan options available?

Two other loan options exist for undergraduate students: private educational loans and Direct Parent PLUS loans.

What are private loans?

Private education loans, also known as alternative loans, are offered by private lenders to help students bridge the gap between the cost of education and the amount the government allows you to borrow in federal loans. Lenders offer private educational loans with different rates, fees, repayment terms, and approval requirements.

Are private loans offered at Morehouse?

Private loans are available through lending agencies such as banks or credit unions. Morehouse partners with Great Lakes Educational Loan Services to provide information on a variety of lenders that our students have borrowed from. We strongly recommend that you compare rates carefully and know what their monthly repayment schedule will be.

What is the Direct Parent PLUS Loan?

The Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a federal loan that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Subsidized Loan. Learn about Direct Parent PLUS Loans

Loan Deferment and Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?

You can defer payment on your federal student loans, including from previous institutions, if you are enrolled at least half-time. You should be aware that although you can defer payments while you are in school, interest will still accrue on your unsubsidized loan(s). If you have loans from previous enrollment periods those can be deferred as well.

When do I have to repay my loan?

Your Federal Direct Loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence or withdraw from the program. Most private loans also have deferred payment options while you are in school; however, you will need to check with your loan servicer. During this period, you will receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you will be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. You are not required to pay while in school; however if you choose to, there is no penalty to prepay. Learn more about repayment timelines.

What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?

The Department of Education (DOE) offers multiple options for repayment. You may visit the DOE website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?

Yes, visit the DOE website for repayment calculators.

Can I consolidate my undergraduate loans?

A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan including all undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation.

Are there any loan forgiveness options available?

In certain circumstances, all or a portion of a borrower’s federal student loans may be forgiven under the federal government’s loan forgiveness program. Please review the Department of Education website for more information on federal loan forgiveness programs.

Military Education Benefits

How do I apply for military education benefits?

If this is your first time using VA Federal Education Benefits, the first step is applying for them on the Veterans Affairs website. Under Education, click Apply for Education Benefits. A tool on the page will help select the form appropriate for you. Veterans Affairs sends you a Certificate of Eligibility in about 30 days that determines what benefit you qualify to use while matriculating through college. You may email documents for military education benefits to for processing.

What are the eligibility factors for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

You are potentially eligible if you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept.10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

How are Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits calculated at Morehouse?

Post 9/11 benefits are based on the student eligibility per the Veterans Administration and the number of hours for which you are registered.

What is the deadline to apply for VA education benefits?

Please apply for your benefit as early as possible, ideally 1-2 months prior to the start of your program. This will put you in the best possible position to map out your costs and make an informed decision about how to best utilize your hard-earned benefits. We can retroactively certify based on the VA’s guidelines if you apply for and become eligible for VA benefits in the same semester.

What are current rates of benefits including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?

The tuition and fee payment rate, and MHA are determined at the beginning of each military academic year on August 1st. The current rate table is located on the Education and Training page of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) and does Morehouse College participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows degree-granting colleges and universities to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the national maximum per academic year. Yellow Ribbon awards are not currently available at Morehouse.

Who can I contact at Morehouse for questions about using Military Education Benefits?

Tax Benefits for Education

How do I qualify for a tuition tax credit?

For details on tax benefits for education, see IRS Publication 970. Tax Benefits for Higher Education, which provides detailed information. Morehouse College is unable to provide tax advice. We urge you to contact your tax advisor or the IRS at 800-829-1040 or if you have any questions regarding the HOPE or Lifetime Learning Tax Credits.

What is the 1098-T Form?

It is an informational form filed with the Internal Revenue Service to report the amounts billed to you for qualified tuition, related expenses, and other related information. The primary purpose of the IRS Form 1098‐T is to inform you that we have provided this required information to the IRS.

How do I obtain my 1098-T Form?

We report the total amount of qualified tuition and related expenses you paid in Box 1 of form 1098-T available to you in TigerPay.

Created: January 2021